Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Cheese and BACON!!!
Happy Easter everyone! Even though its Spring we had a bit of snow again today so I decide to use the time inside to make some yummy dog treats for my boys. I found this recipe for “Dog Bark” from Betty Crocker and I have been wanting to try it. One thing that drew me to this recipe is that it is for gluten free dog treats. One of my grand dogs has serious food allergies, so when I look for new recipes I try and keep her in mind. I don’t want to leave anyone out.
This recipe was so easy to make and took no time at all to assemble. Best of all, everyone of my three Chihuahuas plus my daughter’s two Bull Terriers LOVED them! So who needs a chocolate Easter bunny when you can have awesome chocolate, peanut butter, cheese, bacon dog treats?!
- 5 slices bacon
- 2 slices Cheddar cheese (3/4 oz each)
- 2 cups carob chips
- 1/2 cup crunchy or smooth (your choice) peanut butter
- Line cookie sheet with foil. Spray lightly with cooking spray.
- In 12-inch skillet, cook bacon over low heat 8 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Coarsely chop bacon; set aside.
- Using a small cookie cutter, cut shapes out of cheese slices. I used a heart but any shape you want will work. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, microwave carob chips uncovered on High 30 seconds; stir. Microwave 30 seconds longer. Stir in peanut butter.
- Spread carob mixture on foil to 1/4-inch thickness, about a 9-inch square. Immediately sprinkle with bacon and cheese; press lightly into carob mixture. Chill until set, about 15 minutes in freezer, or 30 minutes in refrigerator.
- Remove from foil; break into 18 pieces. Store in airtight container in refrigerator for 5 days. At my house, they didn’t last 5 days! Our pups plus my daughter’s dogs blew through these treats in just a few days.